Sunday, July 12, 2009

Singtel tricked me to a Singtel store.

I received a mail with a $100 Voucher for any mobile phone purchase with a 24 month contract. I currently have a mio TV, Singnet, Wireless Singtel subscription, and a prepaid mobile.

I finally decided to go and get a Singtel line (I have one for my office handphone) for my personal use as there are a few phones which I am interested in getting and the $100 voucher seemed like a good deal.

I live in Novena, and I drove to Nee Ann City through the ERP gantry to park at the carpark only to find from one of the staff that somehow the voucher was applicable to people who transfer their lines from Starhub or M1 to Singtel.





Let me type out everything on the voucher.

Terms and Conditions
1. Promotion ends 31 December 2009
2. For redemption of mobile phone using the voucher featured in the mailer, you must sign up a new 24 month mobile exuipment contract on Singtel mobile price plans. Temporart suspension of service, downgrade of price plan and termination of line within 24 month contractual period will be considered as a breach of contact. Early termination charges apply.
3. Original mailer and NRIC must be presented for redemption. This offer is NOT transferable and is valid only for the person whose name is listed.
4. This offer is available only at all SingTel Retail Shops and SingtTel Exclusive Retailers, It is NOT valid with other promotions or premuims which may be offered above the line at the outlets.
5. Voucher is good for one time redemption. Only one voucher is allowed per transaction. Balance amount of the voucher if any, can be used to buy mobile phone/accessories at list price.
6. Trade-in is available only with eligible mobile phone models specified by the participating outlets. There is no refund of balance if trade-in value is higher than the offered price. The trade-in GSM mobile phone, original battert and charger must be in good physical and working condition.
7. The participating outlets reserve the right to reject any trade-in at their discretion. SingTel Mobile reserves the right to amend terms & conditions without prior notice. All SingTel's General Terms & Conditions of Service(s) appy, as listed in www.singtel.com/general_t&cs.





In no where did the voucher state that it was ONLY applicable to people who transfer their lines from Starhub or M1 to Singtel.

I went to the SingTel store at AMK hub and the same thing happened.

I know that clause 7 states that "The participating outlets reserve the right to reject any trade-in at their discretion. SingTel Mobile reserves the right to amend terms & conditions without prior notice." But what is the point of giving me a voucher when I am a loyal customer who does not own a cell phone from their competitors and not allowing me to use it to get a new line.

I have just wasted parking fees and ERP charges because the SingTel store decided to use a clause on the voucher and apply a new rule not stated on the voucher.

Thanks SingTel.

--Iron Bowl

2 comments:

mr sim said...

I got similar treatment from Singtel too, but mine was pertaining to the Iphone 3GS. My contract was not up for 12 mth renewal (and I'm not an IPhone user), but in their email to me w.r.t the 3GS they mentioned :
"You are currently within the first 12 months of your contract. In normal circumstances you would not be eligible for an iPhone upgrade.

However, as you are a valuable customer, you can simply start a new 24-month contract with an upgrade fee of $100 in addition to the phone prices above. For pricing details of your current plan please see www.singtel.com/iphone"

I went down to comcentre last week and I was told by the kind ST staff there "sorry but this is only applicable for IPhone users" and they gave me the same blank look when I showed them the email. Wasted my trip down and ERP as well.

celest said...

oh my. i sympathise with both of you, Iron Bowl and mr sim. that's outright scam from Singtel. total waste of everyone's time.

did any of you write in to SingTel to show your dismay? that's just not right..