Sunday, March 28, 2010


Coconut leaves.

I just did some gardening in Singapore today, and I trimmed my grass and packed the fallen coconuts and coconut leaves and tied them up. It was quite a bit of work, and there were more than 100 large coconut leaves collected, enough to make the hut in the picture above.

When the rubbish collector came, they refuse to take and informed me that the recycle people would collect it with my other dried leaves. And when the recycle collector came, they asked for $20 to help me dispose of my leaves. I did not understand. I though this practice is common in third world countries, but did not expect something like this to happen in Singapore. Of course they left as I refuse to pay.

In Singapore, when you pay for electricity bill, you have to pay for refuse removal and water as well, and I do pay my electrical bills.

Now I have a large pile of dried leaves on the curb outside my house. I wonder how long it would take for it to disappear!

-- Iron Bowl.

No comments: