Monday, February 24, 2014

What have weddings become? #Singapore


This year, I've been invited to be a "brother" for 2 weddings, and I've been "videoing" for another. The experience makes me not want to get married in Singapore.

I have no idea how it had became so bad. I don't believe this is "tradition" although many people act like it is.

1) Expensive Wedding Dinners.

I do understand that Hotel Restaurants are getting more expensive, but when is it a tradition to eat at the hotel and stay in it for the night?

Something is wrong when there is a Wedding Ang Pao Guide.

I've a friend who is married recently at a 5/6 star hotel, and each table for 10 people cost $2,000. So getting 30 tables, it becomes a $60,000+ expense.

As he owns only convertibles, he had to rent a Bentley and there are also packages to decorate cars, and provide flowers.

Spending over $100,000 on the actual wedding day is uncommon, but most people in Singapore do spend a hefty lot more than their salaries.

Do they earn back the dinner with Ang Pow?

I would say, 99% do not.



2) Brothers and Sisters Tradition

Errr... This used to be some Cantonese tradition where the groom goes to bring the bride from the bride's parent's house to the groom's parent's house. To show sincerity, the groom has to be pranked and pay his way through with Ang Pow.

One of my friends who go married this year was not into this, but decided to buy his way through. Each of the 10 sisters were given a $888 Ang Pow and the door instantly opened.

My other friends who got married did the "traditional way" of singing, dancing and what not, and eventually paid with lots of Ang Pow to get through the door.

I do understand that the bride's younger brother who open the car door gets an Ang Pow, and I think this is fair, but for the other childish games and paying to get to the bride, is it really necessary?




There are other traditions, which vary from family, (and yes, if you are vegan, you can't do a traditional marriage in Singapore) and most of them are unnecessary, but do not really do much harm or cost that much.

I feel that weddings in general have became a symbol of materialism. From the size of the wedding ring diamond to the bridal car, to the wedding dinners. It is a chance to show off that one is successful. And guess it does not matter what you work as, it is easy to impress everyone in the end if you can pay for it. (Yup, $100,000 wedding day expenditure is from a friend who funds a licensed money lending business on the side)

So I guess it fits into the materialistic culture in Singapore where in gatherings, people often ask, "How much do you make? Or what car are you driving now?"

-- Ironbowl


No comments: